The TIAA Institute Fellows Symposia bring together prominent researchers, administrators, TIAA business leaders and other subject matter experts to examine priority issues. The June 20, 2014, symposium explored emerging new faculty workforce models, including what’s driving the models and the implications for institutions, students, faculty and other stakeholders.
Held by invitation only at TIAA headquarters in New York, the symposium addressed the following topics:
- The evolution of non-tenure-track faculty positions
- Factors driving change in the traditional tenure-track-based faculty model
- Key issues for campus leaders to consider when using different types of non-tenure-track faculty
- How the new models can affect institutional costs, student learning outcomes and faculty dynamics on campus
- Ways to guide the development of new models and ensure their effectiveness
Each session featured brief presentations followed by open discussion. Attendees were encouraged to actively share questions, insights and experiences.